Oceanis 55

Monday, May 13, 2013

A Galley Recipe: Sweet and Sour Apple Beets

Mr. and Mrs. Henry (center), owners of "Alvilda Mae", an Oceanis 41 offered to share a new favorite galley recipe this week. 
We can't wait to try it.

Sweet and Sour Apple Beets



Preheat oven to 375.
Grease a casserole dish..

Mix together and put into it:
   2 cups chopped cooked beets
   2 cups apples
   1/4 to 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
   1 1/2 teaspoons salt
   A generous grating of nutmeg
 **Cook's note: If the apples are very tart, add: (1 tablespoon sugar) If they are bland: (2 tablespoons lemon juice)

Dot with 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
Cover and bake about one hour.

Cook's Note:

Sailing in the Charleston, SC area, enjoying the great crew at St Bart's Yachts, I've been experimenting with finding new recipes.  This was my first time to try this one.  I used it as a side dish with barbecued pork chops.  Of course I had to make some some changes, because I have  a very limited supply of spices on board, I had no nutmeg, and even though my apples were not tart I chose to add both sugar and juice from 1/4 of a lemon.  My husband and I thought it was a delicious dish. I'll definitely make this one again.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment